![]() |
As part of our training we all get sent out on patch (an area to find stories in) every Thursday. It's all about talking to people, easing their stories out, and finding out what is interesting. The majority of the time this seems to be the thing they think is least interesting about themselves.
This Thursday it was the Robin in a pub who joined regulars for a pint and peanuts every day at lunchtime. He'd gone missing and had returned. Of course the bar man didn't think this was worth note until I asked about birds - "Oh you should have said you were interested in birds," he explained.
I'm still on a hunt for a picture of the robin - like I said it's all about trusting the sources word and their story.
Then there are the harder ones. The ones where someone tells you something in confidence and you know it'd make a great story. Do you ask to run with it? Do you keep the confidence?
What about the ones where you know telling a story will put someone in an uncomfortable position? They were ranting and you've gone into crusader mode. Hearing of the injustice you decide that you should look into their story and you uncover more than you expected. What then? Back off for their sake or carry on for everyone else's?
![]() |
| Journalism - a balancing act? |
The source holds the power. They have the information. They have the story you want to tell. I always feel it is harder to tell an individual's story without their help - a hostile source is the worst kind. In a second they can fell a great article, in moments they can kill something that could have been big. Just by exercising that all important right - to speak or not to speak. In an ironic twist on freedom of expression the journalist comes undone.
The fact it works both ways goes without saying. I trust what you say, trust me to do the best I can with it.
Here endeth the lesson on the pact all journalists make - trust thy source and they shall trust you.
7:43 AM
Jo-Anne Rowney


Posted in: 

0 comments:
Post a Comment