I've been sitting on writing this post for awhile - well since the Mass of thanksgiving for the Papal Visit - not for any particularly profound reason, just because I'm not sure how I feel now a year has passed since the Pope's state visit to the UK.
![]() |
| Pope Benedict XVI |
Last Sunday I gathered with other Catholics to remember the Pope's visit to the UK. Strangely it doesn't seem that long ago that the Pope was stepping off that plane, visiting Westminster Cathedral and speaking to thousands of people who were calling out his name in Cofton Park, but in other ways it seems like the person experiencing the mayhem of those few days wasn't me at all.
Certainly the Mass brought home how far I've journeyed since those four days. I'm no longer an intern with the Diocese of Westminster, I'm now back to pouring over books pretending to study and nursing a case of repetitive strain injury from all the writing I've been doing - so it's easier to see why those intense couple of days seem far removed from my life now.
Thankfully Masses like the thanksgiving Mass at the Cathedral remind us - especially me - that the Pope did visit us. Archbishop Nichols reminded us of the Pope's message, his words of wisdom. His gentle manner, his powerful words that struck such a chord with everyone who heard them.
Perhaps the anniversary could not come at a better time, with the likes of Dawkins rallying cries peppered throughout the 'papers as he dons the cape for another crusade against faith in schools and well faith in general.
It is always good to hark back and read the Pope's words again, mull over them and ponder on them again. After all reflecting on what has been prepares us what is to come.
Note: you can find out what everyone has been up to after the papal visit on the CBCEW website. They've reported some events that ran to celebrate a year on from the Papal visit, Archbishop Nichols' homily and message for Home Mission Sunday, and people share stories and memories a year on. Visit http://www.thepapalvisit.co.uk/
1:51 PM
Jo-Anne Rowney

Posted in: 

0 comments:
Post a Comment