Friday, July 1, 2011

A pilgrim's preparation


Nineb Nersy, 21, a recent graduate and parishioner at St Francis of Assisi, Notting Hill is off to WYD with our diocesan group in August. We spoke to Nineb in our first twitter interview about learning Spanish, his succesful fundraising quiz night and spreading God's word in preparation for Madrid.  
Nineb feels that being chosen to go to WYD has renewed his faith. He has been been to WYD before but is still really excited about Madrid. 
A veteran pilgrim
"I had been to WYD in Sydney in 2008 and had been chosen to represent the parish alongside another parishioner," he tells me. "Since then we've had a new parish priest and when it came to choose representatives for this year's WYD, I was very grateful that I was asked."
"Having experienced WYD before I knew what it’s an unbelievable experience that provides a fantastic opportunity for strengthening in the faith."
"I suggested to Father that if there was anyone else he had in mind I'd be more than happy to give them an opportunity since I had been before, but our priest said he wanted me to represent the parish so I was very humbled and grateful to be chosen."
Bringing the Church together
Nineb feels that WYD is a great opportunity to see the Church together, and the good it does. He is enthusiastic when he talks about the Church's role in bringing people together in faith. He said: "I decided to accept our priest's offer as I knew that WYD truly allows us to see the Church in action, the worldwide Church, coming together and praising Christ. I know WYD will help me in my journey with Christ, by helping me discern my vocation, by filling me with the Holy Spirit."
He also hopes to continue the faith sharing experience when he returns. 
"I know my experience will help me be a witness to the Gospel, to the truth the Church holds and help me evangelise through my life."
Having been to Sydney in 2008, Nineb is curious how Madrid will compare to the succesful event. 
Caring about our faith
"Having been to a WYD before I'm especially looking forward to seeing how it is organised in Spain, and to sample Spanish Catholic culture."
He tells me that he is eager to get out to Spain and join in the festival. 
"I'm looking forward to meeting Catholics from all over the world, it shows that the Church remains strong thanks to the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the truth it holds and that young people care about their Catholicism. Mostly I'm looking forward to truly feeling the presence of Christ amongst the masses of pilgrims."
The Diocese of Westminster have been running preparation sessions for pilgrims joining the diocesan group for WYD, Nineb has been attending these sessions in the lead up to Madrid 2011. 
"I've been to the preparation sessions and they've helped greatly by allowing me to spiritually focus on God and direct my prayer life. They gave me the guidance I needed to truly prepare for the pilgrimage."

"How great will the feeling be when thousands upon thousands are gathered in His name!"

Twitter as a tool for Evangelising  
Nineb announced a week ago he'd try and tweet in Spanish to practice for August! He modestly tells me his Spanish is very basic he's still going to give his twitter promise a go.
"Spanish tweeting was a random moment of inspiration, but given that my Spanish is so bad I think it may not have been well thought out. I’m still going to give it a go though!"
Nineb is making great use of Twitter, not only with his personal account sharing his pilgrim experience, but also to evangelise.
"I've also been inspired to start a Twitter account spreading Saint Paul's Epistles as a form of evangelisation. @SaintPaulsWords is not about WYD but my journey of preparation for WYD inspired me to make it as a modern way of evangelisation."
Nineb is part of Notting Hill parish, he is full of praise for the parishioners, his priests and the school for helping him and his fellow pilgrim raise funds for WYD. They arranged a Quiz night recently that was a great success.
Support by actions, prayer and funds
"In preparation myself and the other pilgrim from my parish ran a Quiz Night to raise funds. The night was very well received and was a great night that everyone who came enjoyed."
The parishioners have been very supportive not just with helping pay for the trip, but in other ways too.
"Our parishioners have been very supportive, both through their actions and prayers, and through their generosity we've been to raise more money than we needed! My family as well have been a massive help and guide and support. Teachers, parents and children at our parish school have also been a massive support in my preparation."
Embracing Catholicism
So how else has Nineb been making sure he's ready for WYD? He explains: "Aside from that I've been preparing spiritually by trying to read the Bible more. I've also been to Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament for moments of contemplation. I've started reading the Pope's recent books on Jesus too as well as the Catechism. All in all preparing for WYD really inspired me to really embrace my Catholicism more and more."
With just over a month to go, I ask what Nineb if he's thought about what he will most enjoy about WYD. 
"Just being with fellow young Catholics, in the presence of the Pope, and truly feeling the presence of Christ amongst us." he says. "For as Christ said whenever two or three are gathered in my name I am among them. How great will the feeling be when thousands upon thousands are in His name!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Macys Printable Coupons